Chi Rho fragment

This fragment of a Chi- Rho symbol, the first two Greek letters of Christos was found during excavations on the earliest part of the Archbishop's Palace. It suggests that Otford was one of the earliest sites of Christian worship in the Roman province…

See Item

Photograph Otford High Street

The high Street in 1973, just before the Forge (on the extreme left) was demolished to make way for a modern house. The sundial on the front of the former village workhouse was erected in 1953 to commemorate the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II. It…

See Item

Photograph Otford Lower High Street

Otford Lower High Street looking towards the Millstream 1900-1910. Pickmoss (in its original state) is on the left and "The Horns" public house, then a cottage ale-house and now converted into two cottages, is on the right.

See Item

Photograph North Side of the High Street

The north side of Otford High Street, then known as The Street, pre 1880.
This view was taken from the front of the School House and shows the stream which flowed down the road until the early days of the 20th century. Stan's hairdressing saloon,…

See Item

Photograph Twitton

Twitton, the hamlet to the west of Otford. 1900-1902
This view, looking towards Polhill, shows the entrance to Twitton Farm on the left and the gable-end of "The Rising Sun" alehouse on the right. The girl in the foreground is Marjorie Freeman, whose…

See Item

Photograph View from the Church Tower Otford

View looking East from the top of the Church Tower.
The garden and orchard of Colets Well with Otford Station and Warren Farm beyond. In the background ae the Coombe and Otford Mount. On the right, Station Oast stands in from of the Chalk Pit with…

See Item

Photograph of Otford Village Green

The Village Green looking towards St Bartholomew's Church. The Parish Room, formerly the National School, was on the Green near the spot where the War Memorial stands today. It was demolished when the present Church Hall was built. Date is 1887-1911

See Item

Photograph of Otford Bridge

Otford Bridge is Broken Down! The bridge, on the site of the original ford, was swept away be a flood in September 1968. Communications were quickly restored by the Royal Engineers who erected a Bailey Bridge.

See Item

Denarius

Two denarius of the Roman Republic
Probably facsimiles because it is extremely unlikely that two copies of two coins (See T-240421-01) were found together.
Found by Peter Brown who then gave them to Mr Booker (presumed owner or co-owner of Frog Farm,…

See Item

Denarius

Two denarius Emperor TITUS (reigned 79 – 81 AD)
Probably facsimiles because it is extremely unlikely that two copies of two coins (See T-240421-02) were found together.
Found by Peter Brown who then gave them to Mr Booker (presumed owner or co-owner…

See Item

Framed print

Framed introduction to the Palace (‘Proceeds to Blinded airmen, soldiers and sailors of Two World Wars’)

See Item

Coin

Silver laminated copper coin. This is a forgery of a silver Rixdaalder ('Rix dollar').
A silver/copper coin (42x44mm) dated 1671, found in a garden in Pilgrims Way East, Otford in November 2000. This is a false (ie, a contemporary forgery for circulation)…

See Item

Door

Tudor door, linen fold oak from The Bull public house.
The lack of decoration on the reverse suggests that only the servants saw it. It has bene re-hung many times and the top has been cut down.
The lock is much later - possible 20th C

See Item