John Stafford was made Archbishop of Canterbury in May 1443 by Pope Eugene IV. He held the until his death on 25 May 1452. He steered an even course between parties as a moderate man and useful official.
During his time as Archbishop, the whole Otford Demesne was leased to a single farmer who took over all of the stock. He was responsible for all of the farming and for maintaining all of the outer, including the Bailey chamber buildings. However, the Archbishop retained the Palace.
(source: Dunlop, J. (1964) The pleasant town of Sevenoaks)