Chapel Built

1313 AD

The Chapel (18 metres long) was built in the Decorated style with, “a lavish interior”

Archbishop Pecham was appalled that the Manor’s Chapel was a simple timber building while his fine lodging was built of stone, but he died before it could be replaced. It was left to Robert Winchelsey to rectify the situation. The corner of the wall in the front garden of number 5 is believed to be the wall of Winchelsey’s magnificent Chapel, where he, and his successors worshipped, and where choristers demonstrated the breadth and intricacies of contemporary English choral music.